Friday, April 16, 2010

Recipe Road Test

Let me start by saying I've never met an Oxygen Magazine recipe that I haven't liked. With that in mind, I was really excited to see this gem in the current issue.


Perhaps it's my Eastern European genetics; but I can't get enough of cabbage. Raw, braised, wrapped around little ground beef & rice rolls (aka halupki - which my mom makes the best in the world, sorry John B), in soup or even boiled into oblivion. I LOVE cabbage!

So when I saw Chinese cabbage, red peppers, mushrooms and tofu all under one lid, I immediately planned a trip to the store. Today I threw this meal together in mere minutes. It was worth EVERY nanosecond.

Excuse the phone pics. My camera card is in my computer at the gym. But it's not a very pretty meal anyway - don't let the icky appearance keep you from making this. I'm actually thinking of chilling the leftovers and eating them cold. You know, if tofu tastes great right out of the wok, it only tastes better the next day.

Eat in good health & thanks for reading this! ~ Steph

SWEET & SPICY TOFU WITH VEGETABLES


Makes 4 servings


12 oz firm tofu drained and cut into bite-sized cubes
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper, cubed
2 cups Chinese cabbage, shredded
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup low-sodium organic chicken broth
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
3 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp organic honey
2 tsp arrowroot flour
1/8 red pepper flakes, or to taste
2 cups brown rice, cooked


1. Heat oil in large sautee pan over medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic, onion, bell pepper, cabbage and mushrooms; continue cooking for 7 minutes or until onion softens.

2. Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk together broth, vinegar, soy sauce, arrowroot flour and red pepper flakes.

3. Add sauce to vegetables and tofu and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes until sauce thickens slightly. Serve with cooked rice.


Cals 254; Total Fats 7g; Sat Fat 1g; Trans Fat 0g; Sodium 492mg; Total Carbs 36g; Dietary Fiber 4g; Sugars 8g: Protein 13g; Iron 2mg.

No comments:

Post a Comment